Re: [blogite] Pingback makes a page invalid?

From: Stuart Langridge (aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 09:58:52 BST

Ian Hickson spoo'd forth:

> On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Stuart Langridge wrote:
>>
>> Hm. According to
>> http://www.maximumaardvark.com/archives/000637.html#000637, using
>> Pingback makes a page fail to validate. I can't see why this is, so
>> I've asked for clarification...
>
> His page is XHTML. Your spec assumes an HTML document.
>
> Therefore when he put in the link:
>
> <link rel="pingback" href="http://bobblog/xmlrpcserver">
>
> ...he ended up inserting a start tag. In XML, that requires an end
> tag. (In HTML, the end tag is implied (in fact, it's not allowed)
> because the element is empty).
>
> What he should do is use one of the following instead:
>
> <link rel="pingback" href="http://bobblog/xmlrpcserver"/>

What? That's *it*? I assumed that anyone who'd elected to choose XHTML
as their language would know that their tags had to be terminated!
Grumble. I thought maybe it was some kind of undeclared LINK tag or
something, and was puzzled why this was so.

Should I mention in the spec that you need to format the tag
appropriately for your choice of document language? (Didn't think I'd
need to do this *sigh*)

sil

--
Now get up and take a rip off my magic bong so that we can show
you the meaning of Xmas!