Re: PingBack: proposed XML server list format + central web service demo

From: Simon Willison (simon@incutio.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 23:18:54 BST

At 23:15 03/09/2002 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:

>Simon Willison spoo'd forth:
> >>
> >>I'm unclear as to why we need the square brackets? Why not just *, as
> >>in filename globbing?
> >
> > Because * is a valid part of a URL - it's used on sites like
> > www.archive.org. [ and ] aren't allowed in URLs (as far as I can tell),
> but
> > * is the standard wildcard character for globbing, so I combined the two.
>
>Oh yeah. I though to myself, why not just a *, you can't have them in
>URLs. Oops.
>
>HOw about just using a * and forcing users to escape actual * in the
>URL? I mean, virtually no-one uses it, and you could put it in the FAQ
>("What if there's actually a * in my URL? You must escape it as %2A.")

Hmm... could do. I think the [*] format is simpler at the end of the day
though. besides which, something like this:

http://www.*.incutio.com/directory/*/anotherdirectory/*

isn't as instantly obvious to the naked eye as:

http://www.[*].incutio.com/directory/[*]/anotherdirectory/[*]

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Cheers,

Simon