[blogite] Google detector

From: Adrian Holovaty (adrianholovaty@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 16:10:36 BST

Just thought of another feature I've had on my site for a while that other
people might be interested in implementing.

Whenever someone stumbles upon Holovaty.com via a Google search, my site
displays a "Welcome, Google user" message and automatically highlights that
person's search terms on the page. It provides a link to turn off the
highlighting, along with a link to search my site for those terms.

You can see it for yourself by doing a Google search for "accessibility news
sites nytimes" and clicking the holovaty.com match. (It was sixth in the
list when I checked.)

It's easy enough to do -- just check the referrer string and grab the query
terms from it.

I was inspired by WebmasterWorld, which has a similar feature:

One of these days I'll add support for Yahoo, Altavista, Inktomi, etc. It'd
just be a matter of determining their query string conventions.

Adrian

----
holovaty.com