Re: [blogite] Pingback misc

From: Aquarion (nicholas@aquarionics.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 18:58:37 BST

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 05:48:17PM +0000, Jim Dabell wrote:

> Hi, hope this is a public mailing list, and it's okay to post and not just
> lurk - I came across this list by accident, so I'm not sure :)
>
> I'm currently writing my own blog engine (to grok it all, not for any
> particular need) and am looking for ideas for features etc.
>
> - - makes more sense
>
> After all, it's meta information, you shouldn't have to actually retrieve
> the document to find out about it. It makes more sense from a stats
> perspective as well.

So is the title, the decription, and the rss :)

> - - offers a fallback
>
> There is no reason to not support both - if you can't implement the http
> header method for some reason, you can include it in a <link> element - if
> a pingback implementation doesn't find the http header, it can always try
> the other method.

I disagree with putting things in headers on princible. The HTTP spec
isn't really very extendable, and it's more for server-side things, I
think.

> There are a couple of negatives, of course, that have been brought up:
>
> - - need control over http headers
>
> This will only affect static blogs, surely? I just checked in php, and that
> can certainly affect headers via a http head, and I'd imagine everything
> else can as well.

Blogger can't. And having it in the body helps people work out how to
implement it.

> What are the semantics for changing pages? Suppose you get a pingback, and
> the referring page deletes the reference to you? Or the site goes offline,
> never to come back?

The point of permalinks are that they don't change, hence the "Perma"
part :-) But as for the other, I intend to put a flag in the DB for
known problems, and if I can't get to a link I've been linked from for
two months running (this process will run every month) it'll be
delinked.

> PS: I think it would be a good idea to put a boilerplate notice on the
> bottom of list mail that includes a link to the archives/unsubscribe
> instructions etc.

Now I've found out where the config file is, this is done now :-)

--
Aquarion