Re: [blogite] A decentralised "my blog has been updated" service

From: gilmaevski (gilmaevski@mail.ru)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 12:26:44 BST

Why not have AliceWeblog ping BobWeblog to ask "When were you last
updated."?

Gets rid of the subscribing, which is where i think most of your
show-stoppers originate.

The show-stopper for me, i think, is that if AliceWeblog isn't
controlling how often it pings. Personally I would ping only at the
beginning of each session and keep the Last-Updated times in the
datastore. That way i am getting the most up to date info without
messing around with cron jobs. But I can see how it might be a problem
for a very popular weblog if AliceWeblog is pinging on every page
impression. Esp. if AliceWeblog, CharlieWeblog and DeltaWeblog (i forget
who C and D are :-) are also popular weblogs.

g.

Archives: http://www.aquarionics.com/misc/archives/blogite/