Re: [blogite] PingBack description files

From: Simon Willison (simon@incutio.com)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 18:13:45 BST

At 18:03 07/09/2002 +0000, Jim Dabell wrote:
>[quick addition inspired by mort]
>
>Should there be error reporting information in the description file? For
>instance, if your xml-rpc server burns down, should there be an:
>
><error notify="mailto:me@example.com" />
>
>...that is automatically notified in the event of a failure?

Nice idea :)

I've had a thought as well. If we go with the XML namespaces method of
allowing the spec to be extended (for new interface types etc) the file
could end up looking pretty nasty to human viewers. How about an element
that can contain a human readable message?

<forhumans>
Hi there. This is my PingBack file. For a full description of PingBack,
please see http://pingback.net/ . If you link to my site, please let me
know by dropping me an email at simon@incutio.com
</forhumans>

(Details obviously subject to change)

The above might be better served as an XML comment, but having it in an
element would make it accessible to crawlers and such like.

Cheers,

Simon

--
Web Developer, www.incutio.com