Re: [blogite] Using proxies to implement alternative PingBack transport methods

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 11:34:05 BST

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Simon Willison wrote:

> The only problem solved by the description file that can not be solved with
> proxy servers is the site-wide definition problem -

Hmm, my immediate reaction was "well a <link> element is defined to be
equivalent to a Link: header so you could just use a .htaccess file to add
a Link: header to all your pages" when I realised that in fact that would
give us quite a neat way of moving the pingback information to the HTTP
headers, without really having two separate mechanisms per se.

Unfortuantely, the Link: header is a bitch to parse.

And as Simon says, in practice updating lots of pages isn't a big deal
really, blogs do it all the time anyway.