Re: [blogite] Using proxies to implement alternative PingBack transport methods

From: Stuart Langridge (aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 04:28:00 BST

Simon Willison spoo'd forth:

> Ian's proxy server got me thinking. The more complex PingBack suggestions
> have the aim of allowing a variety of delivery methods for "pings", to
> simplify implementation for less technical send users. Ian's proxy idea can
> be extended to provide all of the functionality handled by the proposed XML
> description file. People who wish to use PingBack just to receive emails
> when someone links to their site could use something like this:
>
> <link rel="pingback" href="http://pingback.net/proxy/email/145" />
>
> Where 145 is the account number they were given when they signed up for the
> (so far imaginary) free PingBack email forwarding service on pingback.net.

Indeed, there's nothing stopping you pointing it to your own custom
Pingback server which does the same thing, or sends an email *and* an
IM message *and* logs the pingback. The central service is then working
something like YACCS does for comments, which I think is a great idea.

sil

--
"Aq will now shoot me for being a spod ;)"
           -- Kam, afe