Re: [blogite] A decentralised "my blog has been updated" service

From: Stuart Langridge (aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 04:47:07 BST

Simon Willison spoo'd forth:
> The challenge then is to come up with a decentralised system to allow blogs
> to alert people (and bots and other sites / blogs) when the blog is updated.

Gonna depress you here, dude. If you want instant updates when blogA is
updated, then blogA has to do something itself when it updates. All it
can do is tell someone that it has updated. Either it tells you
directly (which is the idea of you subscribing to a blog) or it tells a
(chain of) third party(ies) and they eventually tell you.

The only idea I can think of is that you have it send out an email when
it updates. That way you can poll every minute for mails -- you can't
poll blo.gs every minute because they'd be slashdotted, but each person
would be polling their own mailserver, and the distributed nature of
the thing would be taken care of (sort of) by the mail delivery system.
It shifts the onus of telling everyone from the blog server to the SMTP
server sending out the mail, which might be a problem, I suppose.

Is there the concept of "distribution lists" in IM software (i.e., you
send one message and ICQ's main server, say, resolves it to thirty
people and IMs each of them?)

si "no useful ideas" l

--
AFE dg++>+ ka+++>++ d+++ m+++>++ ot++ b++ tq- i!
c- l++ afec++ a? f+>- fsN