Re: [blogite] Before we update the spec...

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 21:23:02 BST

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Jim Dabell wrote:

> Perhaps it shouldn't be a part of the base spec, but I do think that
> there should be _some_ way of specifying the transport layer, instead
> of limiting it to xml-rpc.

That's a bit like saying that e-mail addresses should have a way of
identifying transport layers instead of SMTP.

Pingback is an XML-RPC-based system. XML-RPC is trivial to implement now,
and there are dozens of libraries available. (I use Perl's RPC::XML, for
example.) I honestly don't see why we need to complicate the system to
allow for all these other mechanisms, especially given that I've provided
code to translate to and from XML-RPC pingback calls, which can be run on
any number of machines, as required.

BTW, there's an HTML front end to my client proxy now for people who want
to do manual pings:

   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/cgi/pingback-proxy/client-proxy.html

Enjoy.