Re: [blogite] Pingback misc

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 22:02:47 BST

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Jim Dabell wrote:

> As I think I mentioned before, I'm wary of making requirements on the
> document structure above and beyond html's rules. It's prone to breakage
> by other tools (proxies, authoring tools, preprocessors, etc) because they
> don't care about stuff like this.

The alternative is requiring pingback clients to implement HTML parsers.
In practice, asking them to implement tag soup parsers, in fact, since the
majority of blogs don't validate. Writing an HTML parser is hard enough.
Writing a tag soup parser is nigh on impossible. I know I don't want to
implement one in _my_ client.

I think the rules given in the spec are simple enough that proxies,
authoring tools, preprocessors, etc, won't break them.