[blogite] PingBack client idea: Send a referer header

From: Simon Willison (simon@incutio.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 13:11:43 BST

I've developed a habit of always clicking every link in any new entries on
my blog, to ensure that the site I am linking to gets at least one referral
from me (and thus can tell that I've linked to them). It just struck me
that my PingBack client can do this for me, by sending a referer header
when it makes the initial GET request to try and autodetect a PingBack
server on each link.

My PingBack client now makes requests that look like this:

GET /whatever HTTP 1.0
Host: www.domain.com
Referer: http://simon.incutio.com/archive/blah/

So even if a PingBack server isn't found, the action of making the request
should have informed the site that I have linked to them via their referer
logs.

I'm considering adding a User-agent header as well, but I haven't decided
what format this should take.

Cheers,

Simon

--