Re: Favourite features

From: Stuart Langridge (aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 15:49:30 BST

Adrian Holovaty spoo'd forth:

> Stuart wrote:
>>What's your favourite technical feature of your weblog? And your
>>favourite design feature?
>
> Oooh, finally a non-XML-RPC question that I have a chance of contributing
> to. :)

Are we not going to see holovaty.com becoming pingbackable, then? ;)

> Also, there's custom RSS feed capability [holovaty.com/content/customfeeds],
> which basically combines the RSS feed with a search engine to syndicate only
> the content that matches search terms. It's all URL-based. For example,
> holovaty.com/rss/washington returns a feed of the latest 5 entries that have
> the word "washington" in them. holovaty.com/rss/site+review returns the
> entries with "site review". At the moment it searches for the exact phrase
> (i.e., it doesn't "and" the words), but I hope to change that one of these
> days.

I think this is cool, I'm just at a loss as to an actual *use* for it
;)

> I also like having a link to "New comments", which displays the 15 latest
> comments. I set this up because I found that some people were commenting on
> really old entries, and I had no way of knowing about those comments without
> rereading every entry every day. Bah. (Simon Willison has this feature,
> too.)

MT emails me when I get a new comment posted...

> --"E-mail me when a blog entry is posted that contains the word or phrase
> 'xxxxxxxx'". Somewhat like the nytimes.com's "News Tracker" (which does the
> same thing with news stories), this is more useful than the previous idea.
> It would be easy to do, but sometimes I change blog entries to add more
> information or fix typos. So when do I send the e-mail? When an entry is
> initially posted? When it's changed? Or do I set up a crontab job that does
> it every day at midnight?

You have to be generating a *lot* of content for someone to want this,
though, I'd think? I can see, maybe, "email me when something new is
posted in category X", if you liked reading, say, Mark Pilgrim's posts
about Python but didn't care about personal stuff.

Hm: defined views on a blog? You can tell it "never show me anything in
the following categories"...?

> page, but I haven't gotten around to doing this yet because I can't decide
> on a proper URL structure. I'm thinking a possible scheme could be
> [holovaty.com/commentarchive/2002-09-05/joe_schmoe] or
> [holovaty.com/archive/2002/09/05/comments/joe_schmoe] (where Joe Schmoe is
> the commenter's name). The problem with the first URL scheme is that I
> would have to set up a /commentarchive page and a /commentarchive/2002-09-05
> page, which wouldn't necessarily be that useful. (I'm a firm believer in
> making URLs hackable, so I make myself account for every subdirectory.)

holovaty.com/archive/2002/09/05/comments/1 would be a lot easier :)

> and I think it would be a good feature to be able to link to a part of it.
> (I had a discussion about this with Stuart, et al, before this nifty e-mail
> list.) I'm still undecided on how this would happen.

Yeah. I sort of like this idea but I can't think of a good way to make
the user interface (by which people actually select a bit of a blog to
link to) anything other than confusing. This is well down my priority
list because I don't do many posts with lots of content -- they live
in my writings and writings/tech sections, which aren't run by the
blogging system :)

> --Change the time zone. I've noticed a lot of blogs don't specify which time
> zone they're in, which pretty much makes the timestamp meaningless. I put
> "EST" on mine, and my about page explains my time zone further, but I think
> it would be convenient for the users to convert the times to their own
> zones. I did this in JavaScript on one of my old sites, but I'd rather do it
> on the server side for accessibility's sake.

I'd never even, like, thought of this :)

sil

--
Can i dial 1-255-255-255255 and make every phone in the world ring?
           -- Tanuki