Re: [blogite] Pingback makes a page invalid?

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 09:45:33 BST

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> Hm. According to
> http://www.maximumaardvark.com/archives/000637.html#000637, using
> Pingback makes a page fail to validate. I can't see why this is, so
> I've asked for clarification...

His page is XHTML. Your spec assumes an HTML document.

Therefore when he put in the link:

   <link rel="pingback" href="http://bobblog/xmlrpcserver">

...he ended up inserting a start tag. In XML, that requires an end
tag. (In HTML, the end tag is implied (in fact, it's not allowed)
because the element is empty).

What he should do is use one of the following instead:

   <link rel="pingback" href="http://bobblog/xmlrpcserver"/>

...or:

   <link rel="pingback" href="http://bobblog/xmlrpcserver"></link>

Alternatively, and in my opinion this is the much better solution, he
can use HTML instead of XHTML. This is the better solution because he
is sending his document as text/html, not text/xml (or any of the
other XML MIME types) and therefore there is no point in using XHTML.