Re: Interesting page headers (Was: [blogite] Before we update the spec...)

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 06:12:07 BST

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Aquarion wrote:

> > > Me, disagreeing with the X-Pingback idea, as noted elsewhere :-)
> >
> > Must've missed that, or confused it with the comments from someone else.
> > How do you propose handling pingback on, e.g., text/plain documents?
>
> I don't. I saw - and see - pingback as a tool for webloggers. Making it
> a general purpose "I linked to you" opens it further to abuse. When it
> was a way of tracking conversation within the community, I support it.
> As something that is done better by reading your referal logs, I
> disagree with it.

People have been linking to the text/plain document on XHTML that I posted
recently, rather than to the permalink of my blog entry introducing it.

With X-Pingback, I wouldn't have missed those references. I currently
automatically get an e-mail for each new referrer to my blog. I don't do
this to other documents on my sites, because I'd get flooded in seconds
just from the google hits. However, pingbacks are much rarer, since they
only occur when someone adds a new link.

I still see pingback as being, on the client side, just a blogging tool,
but I don't see why, on the server side, I shouldn't be able to catch
links to pages other than my blog entries.