Re: Interesting page headers (Was: [blogite] Before we update the spec...)

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 20:35:30 BST

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Aquarion wrote:

> > I still see pingback as being, on the client side, just a blogging tool,
> > but I don't see why, on the server side, I shouldn't be able to catch
> > links to pages other than my blog entries.
>
> Because everything you get with a pingback - that someone has followed a
> link from $reference to $page - is already (and automatically) filed
> away in your server log without there being any other protocal involved.

In practice, this isn't so. Referrer logs are noisy, they don't point to
aggregation services like weblogs.com.

> The /only/ benefit pingback has over scanning log files is the permalink
> that it gives back to the refering article (that is, When I link from
> index.php, the pingback tells you the link comes index.php?id=404,
> because that's the place you'll /always/ be able to get it)

That's a non-trivial advantage.

> which can be used to create a list of "further reading" links. Doing
> this for anthing other than x/html isn't as useful, because part of
> the point of the system is you have a list of links of people who
> talked about this.

It would be useful using Simon's idea of getting the links out of the
system by XML-RPC -- a client side "related links" system which instead of
using a centralised server like Alexia depends on the site itself.