Re: Interesting page headers (Was: [blogite] Before we update the spec...)

From: Ian Hickson (ian@hixie.ch)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 22:23:17 BST

What Simon said, plus:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Aquarion wrote:

> My main point against it is that it doesn't tell you anything you
> couldn't get from your referal logs, because I think Pingback is
> useful as a trackback replacement - to say, for example, that my blog
> is refering yours - but not as a *permenant* record of who is talking
> about what.

Referrers are too noisy. I get an e-mail for every new referrer to my web
log, so I know what I'm talking about. The HUGE majority of referrers I
get are search engines and automated spiders who are spamming me with
bogus referrer links.

Also, permalinks need not be permanent -- the spec doesn't say you have to
publicise them or anything. The idea is simply to be informed. The main
thing I do with X-Pingback on my non-blog sites is just e-mail me.

(I also store them in a database so that people can get at them using
pingback.extensions.getPingbacks(), but that's a separate story that is
not in the spec.)

> Pingback to weblogs I agree with. Generic pingback, however, is going
> to require some /heavy/ selling power.

Again though, X-Pingback is not just about generic pingback. I use it on
my blog. It makes server autodiscovery a _lot_ more reliable.

> Not that it matters, since you've already released the spec, so any
> argument against it is effectivly null and void.

Absolutely not -- it's a working draft right now, so if a strong case
against using X-Pingback for blogs comes up (I don't consider "it could be
used for other things as well" to be a strong case, sorry) then with
consensus on this list I would definitely remove it.

At the moment, though, there is not concensus to remove it (in fact, as
far as I can tell you are the only person against X-Pingback).