Re: [blogite] Beyond pingback: Topic channels

From: Phillip Pearson (pp@myelin.co.nz)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 16:08:20 BST

> I can see how pingbacks would be a neat way of solving this. In the
> absence of that, surely all you can do is follow all remote links on a
> page and draw a link graph? I'm convinced that there must be software
> out there to do this. Am I missing the point here?

Blogdex (http://blogdex.media.mit.edu) sort of does this, and my 'blogging ecosystem' (http://www.myelin.co.nz/ecosystem/) does it for front pages, but not internal ones. It wouldn't be *that* much work to generate the link graph, but you'd start having to crawl rather a lot of pages to do it for any reasonable number of blogs.

Pingback, trackback and referrer log analysis will get you *most* of the links though. Google's "link:" search will get you some of them, although it takes a while to catch up.

Cheers,
Phil :)
Archives: http://www.aquarionics.com/misc/archives/blogite/