Re: Metadata of some use?

From: Simon Willison (simon@incutio.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 16:40:47 BST

At 15:49 03/09/2002 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
>mort spoo'd forth:
> > as i was looking to my weblog' name in a pingback list, i realized how
> > useful could be if my weblog's language (spanish) could be displayed in
> > the list, so that non spanish-speaking people wouldn't waste their time
> > visiting my site.
> >
> > So, extending the concept,do you think some kind of metadata about the
> > "pinging" site (dublincore or something along that) could be passed
> > optionally as a parameter? Would that be even remotely useful or not?
>
>I don't like the idea of passing data in the ping -- pingback pings are
>meant to be a simple "this page is talking about you" notion. The way I
>think that this should be solved is for the pinged site to get details
>from the pinging site.

I agree completely. However, showing the language of the site would be a
very cool thing for a pingback server implementation to pick up. Mark
Pilgrim described some ways of detecting a page's language a few weeks ago:

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/08/08.html#this_page_is_in_icelandic

Provided the page that is pinging has some indicator of it's language (an
xml:lang or lang attribute in the <html> tag seems the best way of doing
this) there's no reason a competent pingback server couldn't detect the
language of the page it is investigating.

Cheers,

Simon

--
Web Developer, www.incutio.com