Re: [blogite] Smart anchoring

From: Stuart Langridge (aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 19:59:54 BST

Adrian Holovaty spoo'd forth:

> Here's a new feature I implemented on my blog this weekend: "smart
> anchoring." I don't believe it's been done anywhere else.
>
> It's basically an artificially intelligent means of linking blog entries to
> one another. If Entry A and Entry B are two blog entries on a blog's home
> page, traditionally a link from Entry A to Entry B takes you to Entry B's
> Smart anchoring fixes that. In my new system, if both entries are on the
> same page, a link between them will be a simple anchor link up or down the
> page. If entries are *not* on the same page, the link will be the standard

Makes sense, although you have to be careful, if you're linking to a
post, to link to its permalink -- can internal anchor URLs be
pingbacked, for example? I can see how this is useful if you have
archives displaying full posts as well as individual post pages -- I
don't, so I shan't be using it :)

How did you implement it? Are your posts stored in the back end with
some kind of intermediary link representation format (say, it says
<AHLINK post="3234">) and then every post that's displayed is rewritten
to have proper links on the fly, or do you store posts with proper
pages where that would be appropriate?

--
Can i dial 1-255-255-255 and make every phone in the world ring?
           -- Tanuki